Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Our Firsts

My first time making a Schultüte
Our first back to school blessing
{First time Darin has grown a full beard}

First time I have ever taken first day of school pictures

First school flag ceremony


First story time with her new teacher.

Miriam doesn't really go to school until next week. This "first" day was for the students and their parents. {I couldn't help but wonder if this was for the teacher to evaluate the parents rather than for us to see her in action} After getting tested on Wednesday, Miriam will start for earnest on Monday.
It's harder than I thought sending her off. I know she is ready and eager, and I thought I was too...until the school flag ceremony. When we walked upon the whole school on the lawn, Miriam showed her first sign of hesitance "My class is so big" she whispered. "This is the whole school, your class only has 15 kids in it" I answered with a smile, but when we started to sing the national anthem I was the one quivering and hesitant.

I am excited for her too though, and so grateful.

Grateful the school is 1/2 block a way
Grateful there are only 15 students
Grateful her teacher hugged her goodbye
Grateful she already knows 5 kids in her class
Grateful its half day
Grateful I am the one crying instead of her
Grateful I get to volunteer in her class
Grateful I know most of the other mothers who will be volunteering

That's lots to be grateful for.