The biggest gap between blog posts happened this summer.
Even now, the posts are few and far between.
Even now, the posts are few and far between.
When things get busy, blogging is the first thing to drop.
Just when I thought maybe it was time to retire this ol' blog (and take up house painting instead) I walk into my room to see the kids giggling their hearts out over it. They spent a good hour going back into the archives, re-living their little lives.
So, I am still taking up house painting but it will have to happen at a slow enough pace to make room for life...and documentation of that life. These three monster-darlings will only be 9, 6 and 3 once. I don't want to be so busy scratching things off my list, and striving for unattainable perfection that I miss it.
The summer of 2013 was a necessary evil of non-stop business. We accomplished so much, but it's pretty much a blur of home improvements, home showing, home buying, home selling, and more home improvements. I guess these things usually have to be done in such a rush, but I certainly don't want to repeat it for a long time (if ever).
Here is the good news:
I love our new home.
A friend once pointed out that I had a magical childhood (sometimes these things have to be pointed out to my ungrateful heart) and ever since I unconsciously, and now consciously have been trying to re-create for my children a same-but-different experience. Our new home is right where I wanted to raise our kids. I will always be grateful to Darin for rushing into this whirlwind because it all felt so right to me. He is totally on board with it now, but I was the pusher for sure.
Our parents swooped in with all kinds of support. We weren't the only ones who worked our tails off to make this dream happen...not by a long shot! Our parents are huge examples of good-attitude-hard workers. Seriously, somehow they make it almost fun to be working like a dog (almost...those last few hours the exhaustion set in...but they don't quit until it's done.) Love the work ethic they have passed to us, need to try and keep that going, not be the ones who break the chain.
Least everyone think our home is perfect...rest assured we have plenty of work to still to do! The things we can't change (the view, layout, location, schools) are exactly what I wished for. The home itself was built around the same time as my parents were building their home and there are so many similarities between them (probably explains my instantaneous love). Our home, however, has had very little updating cosmetically speaking since it's erected date, and the yard needs some serious TLC. This house felt "right" from the first walk through, but with every wall painted, every pipe fixed, every weed pulled this home feels a little more ours. Of course if we could, I would hire a decorator and pay someone to do all the work, because I will always take the easy way if I can. Luckily, more often than not, we are required to figure out what we like, what we want, and then I help Darin make it happen (I am big picture, Darin is details). Our hearts are in every brush stroke that goes on the walls.
I have realized a theme in my life: while some people just have drive to develop their talents and learn new skills, I seem to need a nudge.
Our new home has given me a big shove!
Least everyone think our home is perfect...rest assured we have plenty of work to still to do! The things we can't change (the view, layout, location, schools) are exactly what I wished for. The home itself was built around the same time as my parents were building their home and there are so many similarities between them (probably explains my instantaneous love). Our home, however, has had very little updating cosmetically speaking since it's erected date, and the yard needs some serious TLC. This house felt "right" from the first walk through, but with every wall painted, every pipe fixed, every weed pulled this home feels a little more ours. Of course if we could, I would hire a decorator and pay someone to do all the work, because I will always take the easy way if I can. Luckily, more often than not, we are required to figure out what we like, what we want, and then I help Darin make it happen (I am big picture, Darin is details). Our hearts are in every brush stroke that goes on the walls.
I have realized a theme in my life: while some people just have drive to develop their talents and learn new skills, I seem to need a nudge.
Our new home has given me a big shove!