The kids and I had an 8:00 choir practice, which would normally be kind of awful, but it was to add the string section to our performance and I LOVE watching and listening to the wonderful string section so it was fun. We delivered the last of our Christmas gifts after it ended and then enjoyed a leisure early afternoon getting ourselves ready for the evening. Well, mostly leisurely, Darin and I were trying to decide between driving down to Salt Lake or taking the bus. It is so hard for us to make decisions...even tiny unimportant ones like what mode of transport to take. Ultimately, even though we knew it would mean a chilly night walk back home we decided on the bus. I felt like it would add to our sense of adventure, and I have been meaning to use the bus system more often...I felt like this was a good time to start.
The bus was more inconvenient than driving ourselves, we froze our toes off waiting for it in the sleet to go home, but I am glad we did it. It was an adventure, we saw people who live very differently than us (not in a voyeuristic privileged way...but in an experience way, like what would it be like to plan your day around a bus schedule), this made us think about what we take for granted...a working car, warm clothing appropriate for all kinds of weather, having somewhere to go on Christmas Eve, the kids having parents at home instead of working on this holiday...stuff like that.
We took some small treats to give our bus driver and the boys loved giving them out! I wish we would have brought enough treats for everyone on the bus...not that you can eat on the bus...but something for later or maybe a small poem or something.
(tuck that idea away for future Christmas Eves).
We were there early for our brunch reservation so we walked to the Gallivan Center to watch the ice skaters, and then to Harmons in search of a mango for the fruit dish I was in charge of for Christmas Day (no luck...all hard as rocks).
Then on to Copper Onion for a 2:30 brunch (kind of funny to have brunch so late but it was the last available reservation)
We had never eaten there before but Uncle Craig likes it and he has good taste so we took a gamble.
It was fantastic...my first time trying eggs benedict.
We walked down to Grand America for the window displays
and scavenger hunt.
We jumped on Trax to City Center for the Macy's candy windows.
Then through City Creek to see their displays while we waited for Temple Square lights to come on.
By this time we needed a walking break before treking through the square so we sat on the bridge for awhile people watching.
I suspected that the lights would pop on at 5:00 so we stayed put..and 5:00 sharp they turned on!
(but I was looking at my phone to see if it was 5 and missed it...boo)
We had light rain for most of our city exploration, but at this point the rain started coming down harder. So we did a quick walk through temple square and then up to our bus stop across the street.
This was the hardest part for Soren. He just isn't use to being uncomfortable like that (tired, wet, cold) so he started to whine, and Darin and I don't handle whining very well...we are working on that, trying to be more deliberate with our reactions. Not as biting. Still working on it...it's now a 2017 family goal.
But the bus came right on schedule and inside was so warm, Soren was rocked into a quick nap.
We sang Christmas songs as we walked briskly home in the sleet, we must have looked like exercising carolers. It was amazing how moving and singing make things more enjoyable. Waiting for the bus was for sure harder on Soren than walking home from the bus.
We came home to open our Christmas Eve gift. Of course everyone was expecting pajamas so the boys were surprised by their gi's. M recieved cute pj's we should have taken a photo of but didn't.
We had cheesecake for dinner then watched our favorite videos: Mr. Crugar's Christmas (mine) Merry Christmas Mr. Bean (everyone) then some Christmas shorts.
I read the kids The Gift of the Magi, my very favorite Christmas story, and then ended the evening with Miriam's favorite Christmas story Great Joy while the kids camped out on Miriam's bedroom floor. The kids were out cold by 9:45.
Darin and I had ourselves another adventure at this point, which I can't document here, but want to remember the hilarity of the evening. We had to use all we had mind and body to problem solve until 1:00 am. Frustration giving way to laughter and relief when we were successful. It was hard and fun, and I am glad I have Darin as a partner in these crazy adventures. What we won't do for the joy of our children.














