Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Food Appreciation


I have a friend who is implementing a "food appreciation" day to instill some good manners in her 4 year old son. Since he has been complaining about the meals she has made she is going to feed him nothing but oatmeal for 2 whole days. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.......nothing but oatmeal. I am not sure if she will let him choose different flavors, but really, that is besides the point. She says she is determined to stick to it, and then, when her son complains in the future she will say "Is is time for another food appreciation day?"

I thought this was a bit extreme. Kind of harsh.

BUT tonight Miriam said to me "Mom, you did a really bad job with dinner. This is DIS-GUST-ING."

Hummmm maybe we need an extreme, harsh, food appreciation day. For now, I just reminded Miriam of The Long Winter by Laura Ingles Wilder. They had to eat nothing but wheat bread and tea for a whole month, and then Alonzo and Cap made that amazing trip to find more wheat for the starving town....Oh Man, I am loving those books.



and just for fun, heres a picture of our ski pirate....so dang cute!