The sound of metal in the garbage disposal is harrowing. Reaching your hand into all that mucked up food is bad enough, but I always have this fear of it spontaneously turning back on. Like I am starring in a horror movie.
Gruesome, I know
This time it was even worse.
It wasn't a spoon, or knife I retrieved (after girting my loins and reaching into the disgustingness).
It was my grandmothers watch.
It must have fallen from the window sill when I wasn't paying attention. I have learned my lesson and give it to you as a warning: Do not take off your jewelry and leave it on the window sill when doing dishes.
This watch was beautiful. Dainty silver with a tiny mesh band. It had two small diamonds (not real I am sure) on each side, and the best part....it was wind up! No batteries EVER. Can you imagine? She gave it to me before she passed away.
I am still so sad.
When it happened just Bub and I were in the kitchen. I slowly realized what I had found and screamed "OH NO! OH NO!!! NO NO NO!!"
Bub jumped up alarmed saying "What mommy what!" I am sure I mumbled something about my watch and he dashed out of the kitchen.
He came back with tears in his eyes offering the old watch Darin had just given to him.
"I'll share Mommy! We can both use it! Don't be sad!"

I hugged him and we both cried for a minute.
I told him that people were waaay more important than even the most wonderful treasures, and as long as I had him I would be fine. He kept on crying.
Bub has such a tender heart.
Darin is really good at hiding it but he does too, and I shed tears at the drop of a hat. Byron inherited the ability to sympathize and feel things deeply from both sides of his family tree. It's a blessing and a curse...especially for a boy.
I just hope he can keep his sweetness as he grows. I know most boys deaden their emotions to be accepted in society.
Please Bub, as hard as it is to have, keep your tender heart.
