Sunday, September 09, 2012

First Day


Back to school we go!


Going on 4 years using this backpack, sadly, I think this is the year to retire, her school binder isn't fitting very well.


Bub's new backpack


Bub's cool Ninja Pre-school shirt.


Soren, as always, not wanting to be left behind.


And they are off!
Darin rode with Miriam on the first day to attend her back to school flag raising ceremony.  Soren and I went to take Bub to his first day of Ninja school.

We had our traditional back to school dinner and blessings the night before.  I made our alphabet cookie pudding but was  disgusted when the whole box of cookies only had one E and NO T's! Can you believe it? I had to spell "Do Your Best" using an L at the end and then the only other word I could come up with was Kind, not even Kindness or Be Kind. 
We read about what school was like for Immigrant children in New York (still getting ready for the big trip).  After Darin had given M and B their blessings, Soren jumped right up for his.  It was so cute, and so funny I could hardly contain my laughter during the prayer.

I was all over the place the first day. Ninja pre-school, back to Miriam's school for Back To School day, then rush to pick up Bub, took him to the pet store looking for tadpoles (no one sells them), ran to Costco for bread and school lunch snacks, ran back home to wait for M who was getting out early. I gave some of our neighbor friends those popper bottles to pop at Miriam when she came into the back yard.  This was so fun for the boys and the neighbors, Miriam didn't really groove on it. She just wanted to unload on me all the ins and outs of the first day.  I think she would have rather just been alone to talk to me. I had to laugh when my friend Stacie pointed out that the stark difference between boys and girls. As she asked question after question to her son and got one word answers, I didn't say a word and Miriam spilled her guts! She came home very excited and very overwhelmed.  New school, new back to school schedule, rides bikes to school with a new group of kids, new teacher, new friends, homework on the first day, new dance class, try outs for the school play....it was all a lot for a girl to take in!

Byron, the typical boy said pre-school was fine, the craft was fine, the kids are fine, his teacher is nice....but he loved the huge  karate trophy's around his classroom. His teacher told me he was very helpful to his classmates, and not a bit of trouble.

and me?
I'm lovin' it!