We made it through 2013!
One of our busiest summers yet! It's hard to believe it all got done, but somehow it did...and what didn't doesn't seem to matter anymore. Between packing, loading boxes to our storage unit...and then loading boxes to our home, paper work, negotiations, hundreds of phone calls, moving furniture, trips to the DI, cleaning, cleaning, CLEANING, painting, lawn care, and a zillion trips to Home Depot the kids somehow still made it to swimming lessons. Miriam got to piano, summer ballet, and sewing class. Bub got to do Itty Bitty Ball for one last summer. We still made it to playgroup most weeks, we went swimming, we played with cousins, went to the park and made it to reunions.
The kids didn't do their summer workbooks very consistently, we didn't do summer chores very often, they watched more Netflix than they ever have before. We ate out so much more than ever in their young lives! At the time it caused me so much guilt, looking back it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I am just happy we made it through.
One of our busiest summers yet! It's hard to believe it all got done, but somehow it did...and what didn't doesn't seem to matter anymore. Between packing, loading boxes to our storage unit...and then loading boxes to our home, paper work, negotiations, hundreds of phone calls, moving furniture, trips to the DI, cleaning, cleaning, CLEANING, painting, lawn care, and a zillion trips to Home Depot the kids somehow still made it to swimming lessons. Miriam got to piano, summer ballet, and sewing class. Bub got to do Itty Bitty Ball for one last summer. We still made it to playgroup most weeks, we went swimming, we played with cousins, went to the park and made it to reunions.
The kids didn't do their summer workbooks very consistently, we didn't do summer chores very often, they watched more Netflix than they ever have before. We ate out so much more than ever in their young lives! At the time it caused me so much guilt, looking back it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I am just happy we made it through.
This was the year our friends (Bub's best friend) moved into our new basement for 4 months.
And we are STILL good friends, proving that I would make an awesome sister wife provided each have our own husbands (we even shared a kitchen)!
This was the year Bub started kindergarten which caused both of us so much anxiety but has been a piece of cake. The year that Miriam and Bub started walking home from school together everyday. They are such slowpokes and I LOVE IT! I love watching them walk up the sidewalk together, talking and laughing.
This was the year I read almost every book suggested for book club, and loved them all. The year I was the "story time lady" at a local bookstore (which sadly has now closed). The year Darin and I became professional painters and I stopped baking. We hardly ever have homemade cookies anymore, I just don't have the self control for it. Hopefully when I become more balanced as a person and stop using food as an emotional crutch we can introduce baking back into our family.
Sometimes everyone has to suffer...
This was the year Darin biked 18 miles to or from work when the weather permitted.
The year he did more home repairs/improvements in a short amount of time than he would have preferred. The year he got a couple of promotions at work but he hates when I talk about stuff like that.
He is kind of a stud muffin.
KID UPDATED
Byron doesn't share much with us, but I live for the moments when I get a glimpse at his life.
Like....I found a friendship note from a kid in his class named Henry saying he was happy they were friends....how cute is that? Bub just shrugged his shoulders and said "oh yeah Henry is cool". Like when he told us he plays "save the tortuga" at recess with Kaden, Henry, Kalea, and Dominic (who Byron is very concerned about on class party days because he is diabetic and shouldn't have sugar). Like when he draws pictures of tigers under waterfalls, or fish with super powers, or imagines he is a jaguar with snake DNA, or pretends he is snowboarding on a half pipe...these little peaks into his mind make me so happy. But I have to be SO CAREFUL with my reactions because if he gets embarrassed at all he will shut down. You got to play it cool with this kid.
Miriam's internal clock wakes her up before 6:00 am most mornings. She is delighted when she wakes before 5:55 am so she can sit in her bed and wait for the clock to flip to that special time, she also loves 4:56 pm. She doesn't care much about clothing or shoes, but loves the quirky earrings at Clairs (like sharks biting your earlobe). She is a reader which makes me super happy, she has started suggesting books to me. I think she would make a great quirky independent character in a book series. She tried skiing this year and LOVED it. I admire the confidence she has to try new things, and her ability to laugh at herself....most of the time. Our big push with Miriam to have her slow down...to be content with the moment...to calm down. I might start making her do yoga everyday sheeesh!
Soren is a trip. One of my neighbors asked if we rent him out for entertainment...which describes his funny enthusiastic way of living. He is constantly surprising people with his vocabulary and memory. I am amazed at how well he gets jokes and riddles...and how he remembers them, I sure never do! He describes his life in terms of tv "episodes" like "remember that episode when I was at Grandma's?". He likes doing whatever Byron and Miriam are doing or using my exercise equipment to hone his ninja skills. His volumes are loud and louder, but we are working on inside speaking...and being patient and gracious about gifts...and other 3 year old things.
Love these little anxiety inducers of mine!!
I am glad 2013 happened...but I am also grateful it's over.






