We had Student Educator Parent meetings tonight at the kids' school. As we sat there with each teacher going over school work and making goals I was almost brought to tears with gratitude. I felt how sincerely my kids' teachers care about them. Miriam's teacher spent an hour with us....an hour (!) and it was all positive; praising where she is, but also encouraging her to push herself, always backing her expectations with assurance. I left the meeting a bit overwhelmed about what is expected, but also grateful the bar is set so high. I know her teacher is using all the best research and resources she has at her disposal to give her students as stellar education. How do you thank someone for that kind of effort?!
Byron didn't seem to enjoy talking about himself, or his work. He turned pretty stoic, stared ahead and didn't say much of anything. His teacher was unphased and patient. I could tell she "got" him. She recommended testing him for the gifted program and then followed up with "he may not enjoy that kind of program"....yep she gets him. She knows he is bright even if he doesn't like to share that with others. At times I get frustrated with his hesitance to speak up, and yet I really admire that he doesn't grandstand. It's a gift to work hard without needing to be praised about it. I wouldn't change him even if I could.
This year's school photos
Byron 1st grade
Favorite book this year - The Hobbit (family read)
Favorite school subjects - Art, computers, and recess
Byron's Reflections entry this year.
He worked hard, and enjoyed coming up with this project.
He worked hard, and enjoyed coming up with this project.
He lost one of his front teeth on Monday. It fell out while eating pretzels and he swallowed it!
It wasn't funny then, but we can laugh about it today.

Miriam 5th grade
Favorite book this year: Far World Series
Favorite subject: Science
Her Miriam poem:
Miriam
Active, crazy, anxious, curious
Daughter of Elisa and Darin
Lover of ballet, music, and chocolate
Who feels nervous, happy, and excited
Who needs books, cake, and family
Who gives effort, service, and smiles
Who fears scorpions, darkness, and deadlines
Who would like to see Denmark, the Philippines, and South Korea
Resident of Utah USA
Ray
She is pretty self aware I would say.
It's fitting to be filled with such gratitude in the middle of November. When those old feelings of lack start to descend or I begin to panic with that "fear of missing out" I am going to re-read this post. My kids feel safe, they feel loved, they are part of a balanced community where both achievement and creativity are encouraged. I feel nothing but abundance and gratitude today.
And seriously, can I ever say "thank you" enough to these women?
