Friday, March 06, 2015

Valentines Day 2015

When did February become the new December?
Valentines Day always feels like a sneak attack but this year was especially bad.  We felt BUSY with the play, and skiing, and history fair, and M's birthday, and 2 class parties...it felt very much like December.
I had a running list of cute sassy valentines card sayings filed in my head, but in the end we bought or made super simple ones because it was all I could manage. I am realizing that like Christmas cards which have to be started in November...Valentines cards will need to be started in January. Which means, they might be store bought from now on depending on how much of a break I need January to be.

The weekend before Heart-day Miriam asked if we were going to draw names for "Secret Valentines". I hesitated because I had nothing cute planned, like a cute dinner...special love notes to the kids....a thoughtful gift.  Luckily, I relinquished control over what I thought it SHOULD be and we kept the tradition (although simplified) going. 


I am so glad we did.
I love seeing these kids express love to each other. Soren, ball of enthusiasm that he is, signed all his secret love artwork, and immediately told Darin he had him. The other two kids were so sneaky, and so cute...handmade things from school, little treats purchased during quick Target trips. 
Darin, who had drawn my name took care of a special Valentines dinner.
Grandma and Grandpa sent cards with expressions of love.
So see? It I didn't have to take it all on myself anyway.