Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Major Howard Egan

Major Howard Egan was an Irish immigrant, rope maker, sailor, Mormon, pioneer, body guard, pony express rider,  murderer, and Darin's great great great grandfather.  I think just about in that order.

He is a wild west character every bit as iconic as Wild Bill Hickok.  It was argued at the symposium Darin and I attended, that the main reason the country at large doesn't know about him is because he was a polygamist...that wasn't, and still isn't looked on very favorably by most people (me included). But I share Lousia May Alcott's view of men "I do like men who come out frankly and do not own that they are gods".  White washed history is fine for the kiddos, but at this point, I want to hear it straight.  I want to hear about real life, warts and all. As amazing as M. Howard Egan was, he had some really big warts (don't we all?).  The thing that makes him great is that he seems to have had more grit and endurance than most of us.

The reunion was like no reunion I have ever attended! Huge symposium where historians, authors, and professors spoke PLUS a blue grass band which included an old friend of mine from Price.  There was a Pony Express trail ride,  a historical sights tour, a hike, and it all concluded with a program and dinner at This Is The Place state park.

It was all very interesting, and the kids loved This Is The Place. 
 It was especially fun to be there with cousins!




We wore Soren right out!  I think it was the Irish Dancing that finally took him over the edge.
I am so glad the kids got a taste of their family heritage.  Hopefully that will spark a life-long interest in their ancestors on both sides.  




Hopefully, when the time comes that they need it, they will remember that they have lots of genetic grit and endurance floating around in their little bodies.