Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Farmington Hike

The Olympics have begun!! I love our evenings with the broadcast on in the background while we are winding down for the evening.  We come and go, calling everyone in when an exciting event or match is on.  We turned it on a little early specifically to watch gymnastics and caught the evening news.  We had to turn it off a few minutes in.  Holy negative news, it was NOT kid appropriate. I haven't watched or read the news for awhile now, no wonder we are all depressed and anxious! Watching the Olympics is so much more hopeful. 

Since our little family togetherness weekend was a bomb (thanks to car troubles) I really wanted to do something active and fun as a family.  I took everyone on the Farmington hike I had done with friends a week ago.  It rained hard as we were driving down there, and sprinkled during our hike but we were blessed with overcast skies and cooler temps and no mud. Darin reminded me that we have actually been on this hike once before.  We had attempted a snow shoe hike with a sled when the kids were little.  It was an over zealous attempt at the time that was more difficult than fun.  I think I had blocked it from my memory, or was so focused on keeping babies happy I hadn't payed attention to where we were.
We have come so far!!








4 miles...thats just about perfect for our little family.  It pushes Soren but is easily done by the rest of us. This hike has lots of things to see along the path so it was fairly easy to motivate progress.

And here in lies one of the many benefits of having an older sister....


There is someone who will make you sugar cookies and icing when your mom is on a severe NO BAKING strike for the summer.  


When tragedy strikes, get creative.