Monday, October 03, 2016

Hawaii 2016- Friday

This was our Polynesian Cultural Center day, where we would meet up with my family and meet Esme's family for the first time.  
We had the morning open, but not too much time so we walked to the beach right by our condo, Koilima Cove.








Before heading back to get ready, we walked over to Turtle Bay to watch the outrigger canoes, the birds and wild cats.


We had passed North Shore Taco the day before and I remembered reading it was a local favorite for fish tacos.  I LOVE fish tacos so we headed there for lunch. 
It did not disappoint, we all enjoyed our food choices, fresh raspberry lemon aid, and then shared flan.  Full bellies, anticipation of fun, and a family reunion ahead made us a pretty happy crew.





There is no way I would have the energy to see and explore all there is at PCC in one day, so many museums and villages to see.  We fit in a visit to Samoa, and Tonga before finding a spot for the  Canoe Parade.


We saved a spot for Julia Jared Tatum and Wyler to come watch the canoe parade with us since they had just arrived. Then Mark appeared out of nowhere. I cried and cried when I saw Mark, I didn't realize how much I had missed him. We briefly met Esme's family and communicated everything through smiles and nods since they don't speak english and we don't speak korean.  Mark and Esme translated the important stuff for us.


When we were waiting for a canoe ride of our own we saw Mom, Dad, Madison and Marcus so we yelled out to them to come with us (luckily there was no line).  I was glad we took a canoe trip so that I could hear a little about the other villages we didn't have time to visit.


My little family was hot and tired by that time so we decided to go see the IMAX movie, we knew it would be cool, but mostly just wanted to sit in air conditioning for a moment. After the canoe ride we ran into Mark, Esme and Esme's family so they joined us.  
I loved running into family while we were exploring around.  It would have driven me crazy to go everywhere as a group, waiting for, and making others wait for us.  I loved doing our own thing but just happening upon people I love...it made everything more exciting!


In just our own little family there is a varying degree of museum tolerance. Some of us want to read everything (Darin) and some of us want to run through (the kids) I fall in the middle but mostly as a pleaser just want to make everyone happy.  Miriam and the boys were done with the Ukulele Museum when Darin was obviously enjoying it so I took them out to the market for souvenir shopping.

My kids take souvenir shopping VERY seriously, they put a lot of time and thought into their purchases. They had saved their Christmas and birthday $, and had been saving chore earnings most of the year for this trip.  They not only wanted to find the perfect remembrances for themselves, they each had 1 or 2 (or 6...Miriam) friends they wanted to bring gifts back to. Darin and I are pretty patient with their shopping style but I know it would have driven everyone else crazy.

 Then we headed to the luau.


What an experience! Such fun music, dancing, and food.  I tried poke, oysters and poi for the first time.  I loved everything except for the poi...can't do that texture, reminds me too much play dough. 


Straight after the luau we went to the presentation of HA: Breath of Life.
It was fantastic...all the costumes and music in a beautiful outdoor theatre, so much to take in.  


By this time, our Utah bodies felt like it was midnight and the constant go go go day had worn us all out.  The boys were out cold by intermission so we decided to call it a night.