Sunday, December 17, 2006

7 Years of Marital Bliss




It's our 7th anniversary today! I can't believe it was seven years ago that we were in the Manti Temple getting sealed. It was a wonderful day. These pictures aren't the best, they are just snapshots. Digital photos were pretty new at the time, and we haven't scanned in our pictures. We have a really cute courtship story that spans about 6 years but I will have to post about that some other time.

Seven reasons I am so glad I am married to Darin

7. He takes care of all the bills, taxes, car, computer, and home maintenance. He takes his responsibility to provide for our family seriously. I know I shouldn't be the typical female and let my man take care of me...but I truly love him for it.

6. We both love trying new foods, learning about new cultures, like trying new things in general, have the same basic sense of humor. I feel extremely lucky that I found someone who will go to a musical with me (maybe not his first choice) and will take me to Indian or Thai or Filipino restaurant. There are some differences, but for the most part we like the same TV shows, movies, and a lot of the same music. I feel blessed to have those things in common because we have NOTHING in common education wise. I have a very vague notion of what Darin does for a living. Conversations about his schooling about kill us both. I have worried about this in the past but Darin reassured me that he doesn't really want to talk about work when he gets home. Whew.

5. Darin comes from a great family. He was raised by wonderful parents that I get to claim now too. I have gained such amazing sisters and a brother, the cutest nieces and nephews. Before getting married I felt like our families were SO much alike. Five kids each, same birth order, both middle class families, strong LDS virtues, etc. After getting married, I realized that every family is so different, the way we do things, traditions, communication, roles. I really feel like our families compliment each other. They are very different, but I feel like we are lucky to experience both.

4. He is a thoughtful gift giver and expresses his love often. Darin often says to me "How did I get so lucky?" or says to Miriam "Do you know how much I love your mom". I am the type of person who needs to hear it often so I appreciate that he says things without me prodding him. He gives me THE best gifts, I can't even compete because he doesn't usually spend a ton of money he just comes up with ideas and finds great deals on the internet. I have grand ideas of things I would like to get for him but we don't have the $, and I have the hardest time thinking of anything spectacular that would surprise him. One of these days though....I am working on it.


3. Darin makes me laugh everyday. He is not one to be the center of attention, but quietly comes up with these hilarious zingers. He puts a funny spin on things that makes life more fun. I have been told by family members that Darin was easy to mesh into our family because he just sits in the back ground never getting offended, or ruffled by anything but every so often jumping in with these hilarious anecdotes. He adds very little worry or fuss, just lots of computer help and laughs.

2. Darin loves to learn and experience new things. He is a great example to me of being curious and interested in the world. I would miss out on so much without his zest for knowledge. He pushes me to try things I am interested in and discover new things to become interested in. My world has expanded so much having Darin in it.

1. Darin loves God. Because he loves God, he has the ability to love me when I am at my absolute worst (and he has seen it). I trust him completely because he has such a strong sense of right and wrong. He is also one of the most honest people I have ever known, he doesn't even exaggerate stories. In many cases he is the one to suggest taking the higher road. Especially when it comes to grudges, taking offense, talking about others. He is not pious or anything but his example makes me feel guilty when I shirk my responsibilities.

One last reason I am so glad I married Darin: because of all the above attributes he is a great father. I think our kids are so lucky to have him as a Dad (and lucky to have a mom who makes great decisions;).