Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Christmas Cheer






Our first Christmas event of the season was the Festival of the Trees. I love going and just wandering around, but it's an event Darin can live without, so Miriam and I went with friends. I am always amazed at the time and money that goes into these trees! I love reading about the trees, where the idea came from and who the tree was made in memory of. This year, however, with pregnancy hormones high, I couldn't handle it. I read one, about a young mother who died of breast cancer, leaving three young children and physically just could not take the sadness that swept through me. I always feel bad when I react that way, I feel like I don't have a right to break down, when others, who have actually experienced loss like that, are so strong. Anyway, I don't know how much the trees for, but one had a trip for a family to Disneyland, and one came with an embroidery machine...so the price has got to be up there. My favorite tree of the night was the skiing one (sorry it's sideways), it was contemporary without being stark or weird. These new fan dangled all white, pink, or neon green trees with monochromatic decorations do nothing for me (please don't be offended by my opinions if you have one of these trees...I could have terrible taste). I loved the gingerbread houses and so did the little girls. They also loved getting their nails painted, dancing with the entertainment, and eating candy. The didn't enjoy Santa and avoided him at all costs.