Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So about that pre-school thing

Miss Amy and Miss Melissa

First off, since Miriam is my first child I stress about waaaay to much. I take little things too seriously, I worry about things that don't matter and I put too much energy into worring about those things. Like for instance, a little thing like pre-school. I have nothing against pre-school, but I have never felt the need to put Miriam into a real pre-school (especially when I saw how much they cost). I just couldn't justify spending the money when I didn't feel she needed it, and would benefit more from something physical like dance or swimming.

Then I started to feel pressure because everyone else her age was signing up (and that is no exaggeration EVERYONE in our neighborhood is going), it is also a major topic of conversation among my friends these days. Then, Miriam really wanted to go. I kept placating Miriam with the idea that she went to school too....it was just a school that happened during Bub's naps with just Mom. She was okay with it, especially the field trips, but I could tell she still wanted to GO to a preschool like everyone else. I felt like our decision not to do pre-school was right but I think both M and I were feeling a bit left out.

The Perfect Solution:
Our neighbor asked if Miriam wanted to be apart of a pre-school for mentally and physically challenged pre-school aged children. The program is everyday for 2&1/2 hours for the challenged kids, but the last hour and a half they have a few "mainstream" (for lack of a better word) kids come for modeling, to make connections....I am not sure completely why they come but it works. Miriam goes during that time, just for the "centers" (educational free play) outside play, circle time (songs stories and such) and snacktime. This completely works for us because she gets all the pre-school stuff she dreamed of, and I still get to teach her my pre-school for the reading & writing stuff (and I think my curriculum rocks).

The Pros
Miriam loves it.
They are doing a lot with sign language since there is a little boy who won't/can't? speak.
I am hoping this exposure to kids that are a bit different from her will make her comfortable enough to be friends with anyone and everyone.
It's only $30 for the ENTIRE year, plus a box of cookies, Kleenex, and Clorox wipes every month.
It's held in an elementary school, so hopefully Miriam will be familiar with how school is run by the time kindergarten starts.
There are only 7 kids in the class.

The Cons
It is held Monday - Thursday for an hour and a half. Between this and Bub's nap, we have very little time for field trips....and I dearly love field trips. So, my social life and entertainment has been sacrificed.

We are happy none-the-less. Prayers are answered my friends.....even prayers about things that don't really matter that much.