Tuesday, May 26, 2009


My "Uncle" Richard died last week. I call him "Uncle" with the quotations, because he is actually my first cousin once removed {I think} however, it always felt like he was my Uncle. I knew him more than most of my Uncles. He was sick for a long time, and I knew that, but everytime I saw him {at Heather's parties} he never acted sick....at all. So although I heard stories about hospitals, dialysis, needles, and high fevers it never really matched the person I remember in my head.

Things I remember about "Uncle Richard"
1. I remember his sketches in my book of remembrance...especially the snow white picture, I also remember seeing a black ballerina painting. I don't know where I saw the ballerina but I remember looking at it for a long time.




2. Cars, everyone talked about this red one, but I remember a VW bug.

3. He and Maureen brought the most hilarious white elephant gifts to Heather's party...I still use the turbo twist head towel wrap I ended up with one year.

4. He and Darin once battled it out for a Groundhog's Day DVD. Darin ended up with it {we had brought it}.

5. A welcoming smile, and warm funny conversation. He made me feel at ease.

The cousins

Some second cousins

On our way to the funeral we ran into some problems. Here we are waiting at Taco Time for Sarah to pick us up.

Yep, our car broke down. The alternator...The two times I have broken down on the freeway have both been the alternator.

As we walked from the off ramp to the Taco Time, carrying two car seats, two diaper bags, dressed in our Sunday best, 4 cars stopped to ask us if we needed help. Darin says the only thing that would have made us look more pathetic would have been if I were pregnant.

People are nice.
The car is fixed.