Wednesday, July 29, 2009

One single shard

The glass shard that has been wedged between Miriam's toes (a pickle jar accident) for 4 years is finally out. Such a relief since we have been trying to get someone...anyone to cut it out for awhile. It was right on the surface, you could feel it. We were concerned it might cause her problems later, build up too much scar tissue or keep her from wearing shoes or something. Her pediatrician (despite 7 + years of medical school) wouldn't touch it, but agreed it needed to come out. He said we needed a podiatrist. So I called a few and they won't see anyone under the age of 12, they said we need a pediatric podiatrist, and gave me a referral a practice in Salt Lake. I called the said practice, which had just closed a month earlier they said the only pediatric podiatrist would now be a Primary children's. So I called them, but you can't just make an appointment willy nilly at Primary's, it has to be a referral through your doctor. I called my doctor back so that he could call, so that I could call again. I called again and the Primary's doctor was very very busy, and very very expensive...and then there was a question about insurance.

All this and it seemed so simple, just get out that scalpel thingy and slice. Voila.

Every time Darin would see Miriam barefoot you could tell he was bugged. Miriam would hide her foot, and he would say "it's got to come out Miriam". One night it became too much for him, he stared poking around at it with a toy magnifying glass tool (the long poky one). I need to add that it was MY idea to put orajel on her toe so she wouldn't feel as much (brilliant no?). The glass wouldn't pull free so he did what any superhero technical geek would do. He skipped 7 years of medical school, and jumped on the internet to buy some scalpels.

They came a week ago and we all, including Miriam, knew the surgery was looming. She was oddly brave about it, I think Darin had won her trust with the poky toy.

But yesterday Miriam scratched me with the top of her foot and said "The glass is coming out". Sure enough, when we met Darin at the bus stop he just popped it right out in time for the Girls Night Out Fiesta she and I were attending.

So if anyone needs a scalpel, we have a box of 25.