Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day message and other things....

I had a wonderful Mother's Day so far, and it's just going to get better because the Survivor Finale is on tonight!
The kids surprised both Darin and I by bringing me breakfast in bed, complete with many cute notes and cards (even a book Byron and his friend Fielding had made).
I got to wear the cute picture corsage the kids had made in Primary.
Got a wonderful parenting tip in church (a woman who was dealing with a whinny child got a spray bottle and squirted him in the face).
The older 2 sang like little angels and pointed to me at the "I LOVE YOU" part.
Darin made a delicious dinner (fish tacos!!)
and we have brownies for dessert. 
A serene and peaceful Mother's Day and I felt loved.


I thought of the perfect message to share with my fellow women in the trenches of mother and grandmotherhood.  A message that had helped me to enjoy this day more than in the past. Ready for it?

It's not your fault. 

I think, as mother's we tend to take all of our children's problems or mistakes and turn the problem inward.  If only we had done more, done better, spent more_______ (whatever.... time, money, attention) our children wouldn't have this problem with their __________(whatever.... behavior, attitude, friendship issues, mental or physical problems ).  

All of the mothers I know are doing the best they possibly can with current knowledge, and resources available to us.  
That has to be enough. 

I LOVE Abe Linclon, love the man, I wrote a poem about him in 5th grade...one of my heros, but I don't like this quote: "All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."  Don't get me wrong, it's the sweetest thing ever to say, and maybe in his case it's true.  For me, I am not going to claim everything good in my kids, just as I am not going to claim their mistakes and trials. 
and
It is not our job to create perfect children.  We just need (and this is me reminding myself) to create children who know they are loved. I think the best we can hope for is that we raise resilient children, because life is going to be hard. My Mom is my confidant, my cheerleader, my source for no-strings attached never ending love.  Sure she was a good example to me, and taught me wonderful things but she at times was a bad example and sometimes I wanted more than she could give.
But she is more than enough.

Also.....


Miriam had her dance recital on Saturday.


She did great, she is a cute little dancer.