Saturday, May 31, 2014

Oh My Stars and Garters!

Oh my stars and garters! 
{a cute older lady in our neighborhood says that all the time, it's a British phrase having something to do with the monarchy "associated with the honours given to the great and good".....little linguistic history lesson for ya there.}

Anyway Oh my stars and garters! we lucked out with beautiful weather to end the year on!
Byron had his class fruit and veggie picnic at the park, and they did the always entertaining estimating characteristics of watermelon project.  You estimate the weight, girth, number of seeds in a slice...then measure, weigh count, and then eat it. No pictures because both of these were in-class. 

Miriam's class finally had their Secret Garden Party.  They finished the book last Winter but decided to wait till Spring for the party.  


Of course jump rope.


Lawn Jenga...remember that part of the book?


They painted flower pots, and then made bubble wands out of wire and beads 
{my favorite part of the party}.




The Mountain Man Rendezous. 
I helped with the panning for gold station.


The mountain girls and boys found painted gold rocks in water and sand.  We weighed their findings and gave them that weight in jelly beans. 

I am bummed I didn't get more pictures because it was quite the party....but since this was the whole 4th grade it was non-stop gold diggin action for 3 hours!



The blacksmithing station was right next to us so I quickly snapped a picture of that but missed archery, boondoggle, leather crafts, pioneer games, butter making with homemade scones, and the trading post. Earlier that day they had Native American dancers and an animal trapper give presentations.

The second to last day was Field Day!!
Much different from my school days when field day consisted of jump rope competitions and kick ball



I helped with face painting, Soren was my first subject...good thing these are elementary school kids and most of the just wanted big Y's or U's on their cheeks.  My face art skills could use some practice.


Again....bummed with so few pictures.  This being a school-wide party it was even more non-stop face paint action for 3 hours! Loooong lines of super excited wet kids.


We were next to the dunk tank so I did snap this picture of the boys...Byron said he didn't have time to wait in line to get his face painted so I didn't see him after he dunked a few upper class men (kindergartners were not allowed to be in the tank).  I don't even know all the things they had going on, that face painting line didn't let up for one second!


Miriam and her "friend best" Mary...as the photographer I should have had them switch but again....too busy to notice. The kids really were so cute, so many of the older kids asked for their teachers name and ROCKS! to be painted on.

I have to admit I get nerved out getting these events together but I love being there with the other mom's and the kids during the events. The energy and excitement is palpable and it's so fun to get to know the other moms and dads, as well as put faces with the classmates my kids talk about.
I recognize that my being able to go help with these events is a privilege.  I am grateful I have this time and opportunity to be apart of such a nurturing community of educators and parents.
Love our Eagles!!