Sunday, July 09, 2017

Red Hot 4th

It's weird when the 4th is on a Tuesday.  We celebrated over the weekend, then Darin worked, then we celebrated, worked Wednesday, had Thursday off (family stuff) but worked again on Friday.  Thats not totally the 4th's fault, but a strange week anyhow. 

Monday.....So this came in the mail.... Way to go Mir-cat!!


Miriam found this pristine deceased butterfly and carefully brought it home for the boys to investigate.  A Swallowtail. Miriam adores butterflies so it was bittersweet but she knew these guys love bugs in all states of life.



That night we walked down the street to the elementary school and watched the city light off their fireworks.  Fun to be right underneath them, and even more fun to not deal with traffic!! I hope the city never moves the location because this was my favorite part of our 4th celebrating mainly because of ease, temperature, enjoyment, and no required pre-planning.

Tuesday morning the kids and I walked down to the city parade.  We knew we would be in the sun because I didn't stake out a spot the day before, but I have had bad experiences saving spots for parades and don't enjoy that at all.   Even though it was early (9 am) we did get blazing hot full frontal sun...but we also got tons of candy INCLUDING minty mints from Mrs. Cavanaughs, which was why I came- so win!! (thats really not why I came...the bands, that is why I come and the fly-bys).



Double fly byes for this parade...fighter jets (I just realized that I always call them flighter jets and only knew it was wrong from spell check) from Hill, and then these older planes from I don't know where because obviously I don't know about aeronautics.


We had tye dyed shirts over the weekend with cousins and they got us noticed even on the HOT side of the street where there were hardly any kids.  We got so much candy the boys got sick of picking it up. They became picky about the taffy and I had to encourage them to get what was around their feet because 1. it was nice that people threw it at them and 2. we don't litter


To the park for just a bit...to do one play thing and watch some of Centerville's got talent.



We had an exciting delivery from an old friend to come home to.
A new pet guinea pig named Bugsy...photos to come.  She is adorable and very old so calm, quiet and sweet.  She may not be with us for a long time but we are happy to take care of her for all the the time  she has left. 

Unfortunately it was too windy for us to let off our driveway fireworks.  That was a huge bummer for the boys, but we all went out to the deck to watch multiple displays from neighbors and communities along the valley. 


America does birthday parties right.