Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Father's Weekend

Byron's Adventure Race fell over Father's Day weekend.  In preparation he and I took 2 mountain bike trips the week before, in the morning while M & S were at their theatre camps. The first trip was to Bountiful Pond...super easy didn't really prepare him for much but we loved seeing the pelicans, egrets and other water birds! Second trip, we took his friend up to Firebreak road in the hills.  This trip was more in line with real mountain biking, but Byron said the actual race mountain biking was waaaay more difficult than what we did.  The scariest thing about our little jaunt in the hills were the lizards daring back and forth on the trail...I DID NOT want to run over any reptiles so I was skittish.


Darin's birthday gift came in - his new bike! So he and I also rode up to the hills.  All I can say is that I need to work up to Darin's rides...he is tough on a bike and goes too fast.


Darin took work off on Friday to take Byron and his friend up to Park City to the training clinic for his race. Both of them loved being up there in the crisp mountain air!  Byron loved his training.


Grandma and Grandpa came up that evening.  Soren, Miriam and I got to take Grandma out to one of our favorite "girlie" restaurants to finish out her birthday gift from us.  Then Miriam and Grandma went to see Miriam's ballroom teacher perform in Crazy For You.  While they were gone Grandpa arrived in his very cool Buick Riviera so we cruised on down to Tony Burger so he could get some dinner.

Saturday Byron got picked up bright and early to get to his race, Grandpa got up bright and early to get his car ready for the car show.  Luckily we got some photos and updates from Byron's friend's mom throughout the day.  He was totally worn out when they got back! It was a challenge which was exactly what we wanted for him...a challenge that he could push through.





He said he would love to do it again next year.

While Byron raced the rest of us had a leisurely Saturday. We biked around town, Darin and Soren put together a solar robot (thanks Grandma!), spent some time down at the car show snarfin on junk and lookin' at the sweet rides.





We ended our night celebrating Grandpa and Grandma's anniversary at Twigs with Damon and Gwen.  Everyone came over to our house for German Chocolate Cake afterwards and we stayed up too late tinkering with the car or shooting the breeze.