If you go look at puppies, you will end up with a puppy.
This decision was both thought out and spur of the moment. We have been talking about fostering a dog for over a year, but we were always busy doing something else. Especially me, I didn't want a dog enough to do the leg work to foster a dog. I knew a dog would be great for our family because therapists told us so, also my Grandpa Young suggested many times we get one (actually what he said was "Every boy NEEDS a dog". I just wasn't going to mobilize on this one when I already felt so busy every day.
Then came the pandemic, and all our plans were wiped clean. With every canceled event, with every disappointed child, with all the unknown I held things together. Then came the earthquake, and again I calmly packed supplies in the car and filled the tank with gas. I pretended it was not a big deal with the kids, soothed nerves, read Harry Potter to put them to bed. All the things weighted on my mind...how do I do my job? Will Darin have a job? Will friends and family have jobs? How sick will we get? Will someone I know die? Will an earthquake destroy our home? Without realizing it, I was comping with this anxiety by holding on to our revamped Covid approved Spring Break plans. When I felt overburdened I would just think about Lisa's cabin, the quiet beautiful scenery, the firepit. I just imagined us there relaxing. I needed a break from reality: a change of pace, somewhere to escape, something in my control to look forward to.
Then Governor Herbert gave "Stay Safe Stay Home" and told all Utahns to stay in their own county. I felt very angry, I am all about slowing the spread of Covid, I AM doing my part, but this is where my emotions burst to the surface. I turned to Darin right then and there and said "We are getting a dog, and a trampoline". I sent 3 emails about fostering a dog that evening. I got 3 emails back saying there were none available at this time. So I texted a friend about her puppy's, they were sold. I got on KSL and I found some puppies 1 hour away.
2 days later we went to meet some puppies.
So we have a puppy, and we shall see about the trampoline...I think its a good idea but I can't push it right now.










