Sunday, August 06, 2006

Bridge to Terabithia


This is one of the books I listened to while washing walls. I washed walls while crying and sniffling. It was quite a site (I saw myself in our dresser mirror) chest heaving, scrunched up red face, sweaty from working. I was exhausted afterwards because both washing walls and crying wear me out! It is such a simple story, but I was completely drawn to the lead characters. I kind of knew how the story would end instinctively, but wasn't miffed by the predictability. Again, I love stories told through the eyes of a child. I think my favorite parts are when the Jess talks to his teacher at the end, and when Leslie's dad thinks about giving PT (the dog) to Jess but can't part with it. In both of these cases, people are perceived to be a certain way, and one conversation changes everything.
It is a sad book. I think I would make sure to have a conversation with my child after it's been read. It would create a great opportunity for discussions on important issues.

I just checked out Ella Enchanted to listen to while I finish priming walls tomorrow. It's not a Newbery Medal winner, but is an Honor book. Sometimes I like the Newbery Honor books better. We'll see.