This fourth of July came with lots of mixed emotions.
Every year around the 4th of July, except for when I was on my mission, I have spent at my parents cabin where they have Pleasant Valley Days. This year, just as we were gearing up to go, the Seeley fire started near my hometown. The small town where the cabin is was evacuated and Pleasant Valley Days was cancelled. We were worried about losing the cabin, we didn't get to celebrate my Dad's birthday, I knew my family in that area were suffering with bad air quality.
The worry, and empathy I was feeling kind of put a damper on the celebrations.
But we carried on with plans anyway, what else could we do?
Tuesday I took the kids to a Mad Scientist at our library. Darin shocked us all by leaving work early with his carpool buddy to meet us there. Jeff's (carpool buddy) wife and kids were also at the Mad Scientist, afterwards they invited us to an impromptu BBQ. We hardly ever do things like that on the fly, but I am so glad we did! It was so fun, and the kids were in heaven in the kid friendly backyard.
We came home late, put the kids to bed, and I went to watch fireworks with neighbors while Darin stayed home with them. He was at his social limit and I have an endless supply of sociality so it worked out well.
Next morning was the local parade!
Miriam's festive ensemble.
I came up with that jean skirt/bustle idea with my own brain, the fascinator was Cristin's idea from last year.
After mandatory naps for all we drove down to see cousins in Utah county.
We drove past the Alpine fire and watched the flames move on the hillside...another reminder of how scary this fire season has been.
BBQ, night games, and fireworks....I'd say we did a fine job celebrating our country's birth.
And then the rains came!!
Hallelujah!


