The first time I met Darin's family was at their 1995 reunion when Darin invited me to join their family water fight.
I fell in love right away...not with Darin, I was already in love with him (that very naive teenage kind of love). I fell for his family. They seemed so sweet and formal at first, I didn't know if I would fit in, and then they drenched me with water for a good hour. His Dad even snuck in the house to pour buckets of water from an upstairs window! That's when I knew I could party with these people.
This year we were due for another family party.
The kids got up early every morning to pick raspberries and strawberries from Grandpa's garden.
Grandpa made everyone raspberry, blueberry, and "normal" waffles one morning.
We had a Granddaughter Tea Party....
Meanwhile, the boys went geocaching with plans to leave Grandpa's fused glass art in the cache.
Played the always hilarious game of "who said".
Where you quote someone in the family and everyone guesses who said it, when, and why.
Some of my best catch phrases come from that game!
Had a Talent Night
Bub made everyone think he was making an Orange Julius but used his science know-how to make Gak, which was a hit with everyone for the rest of the night.
Miriam used a dance Aunt Julia had choreographed for 4, and revised it as a solo to perform.
Soren threw his beloved football.
We all enjoyed Spencer's very serious-faced dance performance, Ben's art, Anna, Maddie, Landon and Emily's musical performances.
My kids have great cousins to look up to.
We tie-dyed.
Cameron helped me make gigantic bubbles.
The water fight was held, despite the rain.
This picture was before the big boys joined in.
It ended with all the little kids inside while Grandpa, Regan, Darin, Pete, Matt, Landon, Ben and Maddie fought to the death. Darin has balloon welts to prove it!
Not pictured:
Lazer Tag, daily feasts provided by each family, Sonic runs, home movie night, the puzzle room, family pictures, and the cousin camp out.
I am still recovering from all the fun, but the kids would do it all tomorrow if they could!
So grateful to my in-laws for getting this put together.






