Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Freezing Time

 "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around for awhile you could miss it"
- Ferris Bueller

Here is my attempt to document a random selected week through photos and sniptis of commentary.

I awoke Miriam up at 6:00 am at her insistence.  She likes space and time in the mornings, and as long as there is not a last minute freak out (she tends to be anxious and a bit dramatic) I let her do her own thing without micromanaging it all.  Only stipulation is that she must practice the piano at 7:00.
At 7:00 sharp she was practicing without any complaining! And it was a good practice where it seems like she really is trying to improve rather than slog through the 30 min. Happy Day!

I put Cherrios on the table and started making lunches. Make myself some tea.

Darin leaves at 7:30

Byron was on the piano by 7:40 unfortunately there were tears, but he is usually fairly compliant. 
8:15 more tears because he saw the Mamba wrapper robot he and Darin made at church in the garbage can.  I told him it was technically garbage, and it was left on the living room floor so I threw it away.  That didn't help.  He would not pull it out because a tissue was on top!! So I let out a huge huffy exasperated breath (Thats ALWAYS so helpful in these moments).  We argued garbage/treasure for a few minutes and then I said "Buddy, the joy is in the creation not in the keeping.  You and dad had a great time quietly folding candy wrappers into a recycled robot during sacrament meeting. Just let that be a great moment and not keep the trash..okay?" It had to be okay.

 8:20 Miriam is out the door, headed to Tiffany's house.  I know Tiff won't be ready yet...in fact Tiffany's mom very well might end up driving them because she is running behind.   I let her go anyway because like I mentioned before...trying not to micromanage the stuff that doesn't matter.


8:30 I load up the boys and drive Byron to his school 5 min. away because there is no one in our neighborhood for him to walk with. Next year will be so great when the boys can walk, scoot, or ride bikes together!! 

8:55 Soren and I hit cross fit where I do, among other things 20 overhead squats, rip the skin in my hand attempting toes to bar, and 200 double unders...SO HARD!
Soren played video games the whole time.

10:15 Soren and I pick up the book Darin has reserved at the library "The Marshmallow Test mastering self-control" because we think it's something we could all work on.

10:30 Sarah and Sadie pick up Soren for school.  There are not tears today as he leaves which is a huge breakthrough.

Monday is laundry day.
My favorite, and I am not even being facetious, I really enjoy doing laundry.
I love beds made with clean sheets, I love the smell of laundry detergent and fabric softner. I also love listening to podcasts or talking on the phone while folding and ironing. I Love Love Love when I get it all done, folded, ironed and put away in one day! What a triumph! It takes not doing any errands -at all- the entire day...today was my day. Done and Done:)

Today it was the Mystery Show podcast...so good, and phone conversations with Julia and Mirissa.


I had caprese salad again for lunch.  I always get obsessed with this when my maters get ripe. I didn't know I was planting orange cheery tomatoes last spring but it's been a happy mistake because they are so sweet, much sweeter than the red ones. I have no idea what kind they are. 
I have been eating this almost every day since the end of August.
Thats normal for me, I get on seasonal food jags all the time.  Eat the same thing over and over for months at a time. 


Vacuum the upstairs...do a little time wasting on the 'puter (really should have had a nap instead) and then its time to pick up these guys! Byron and Soren have the cutest carpool friends.


Tonight was the 6th grade star party, where they bring out the school telescope, and ask families to bring ones if they own them, to the school field to get a closer look at Saturn and the moon.  Families are invited and everyone wanted to go so I had to the get kids right onto their homework after school.

4:45 All of us head to Ballet. It's in Farmington 15 min away so we stick around Farmington rather than drive back and forth.  The boys play at "sand park" while we wait...I might re-name that park "goat head park" because goat head weeds are taking over! Goat Heads are my arch nemesis.

6:30 ish...Darin walks in the door HOORAY back up has arrived! We have spring rolls, rice, and oriental cabbage salad for dinner.  It's a Costco meal, even the salad came pre-made from Costco. 

7:00 Made Bub do his typing. He HATES typing practice. 

8:00 Star Party! We all stand in lines to take turns squinting up at the planets and then let the boys play tag in the dark while Miriam hangs with some friends.  

9:00 Kids bed time. Darin and I veg till 10:30