Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Miriam's Brave Weekend

So I guess I am tweaking the freezing time idea, perhaps taking random days from the month to freeze instead of a full week. A sampling of days if you will.  I just have not carved out an hour each day for blogging and it was extremely difficult to fit in, which made the day not at all a normal day.  It's 1:03 am right now and I can't sleep, so this time was granted to me (unwillingly...making the best out of it).

So here is a Saturday...but those are all over the place, not a good sample of how life runs in general. This one is one required documentation for a few reasons.

First of all....I was determined to use the coupon for the Park City Olympic Park in the back of Miriam's 5th grade ski pass.  Darin will say it was FOMO, which it was absolutely, but this is the good kind of FOMO. The kind that gets you off your duff and makes you put a plan in motion so you won't miss out on a great opportunity. We asked a few different friends to come with us, but their schedules never grooved with ours until the last weekend before it expired.  



We found two neighborhood friends who also had passes and a free Saturday.  I planned to just watch them do the activities, but a really great thing happened! The family in line in front of us had 1/2 price prepaid tickets, they had more tickets than people, so they sold me an adult pass extra cheap, I couldn't pass on that deal...see what I mean...this was good/meant to be FOMO.


We did EVERYTHING:
 Multiple Zip lines (M and one of the girls couldn't do the extreme one because of weight limitations)
3 Ropes Courses
Alpine Slide
Extreme Sledding
Drop Tower
Watched alpine skiers jump and Red Bull 400 race


Miriam cried before trying some things, her anxiety kicked up into high gear for sure, but in the end she did it all.
I am very proud of her, and she is very proud of herself.  I just didn't want her over reactive nervous system to win, to keep her from doing things SHE wants to try. I don't want her to be a spectator in life when those uncomfortable feelings come. Also, I want her to be able to distinguish between real danger feelings and just plain nervousness. 


I only took pictures of the kid rope course and zip since that was the ONLY thing I sat and watched the girls do (Yea!).  They were so brave, and so determined to experience it all.  The intermediate ropes course about put me over the edge and I was about to call it a day until M's friends said "aren't we doing the advance? You HAVE to do the advance with us!".  Miriam and I both gave into peer pressure, next thing you know I am saying "Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh" over and over and over, which is just the thing I seem to do when I get nervous these days.


It was a super fun brave girl power day.

When we got home Miriam was all geared up to face what we left behind: homework and cleaning the rat cage. When she got all set up to clean the cage she realized that one of her rats had passed away.  This was not unexpected.  Nickolette Sandvanna Ray (named by Soren)  had been sick for awhile. She had ear infections which put her off balance for the last year.  She almost choked on peanut butter once. Miriam noticed her eating less, drinking less last weekend so she spent a very sweet Saturday just holding and petting her for hours.  Knowing it would be coming didn't prepare her for it to actually happen and she was/is heartbroken.  It seems like she spent 70% of that day in tears.  

On Sunday Darin helped her thoroughly clean the cage.  I told her that was a whole new level of bravery.  To pick up the peaces and move on when your heart is broken is the most courageous thing you can do.  I couldn't be more proud of her.