Sunday, June 12, 2016

Mom & Boys Week

With Miriam gone, and Dad at work, this week became Mom & Boys Week!
Next week Miriam and I will be roughing it at Girls Camp so it will be Dad & Boys Week, which will most likely be more fun, and that is fine with me.  I love when the kids get one-on-one time with Dad to make memories.

The boys and I kept to the chore/summer school schedule which they complained was so unfair since Miriam wasn't doing them. I was almost swayed but really...2 hours of a 12 hour day doing work is not unreasonable. Miriam actually was doing chores as well because I saw the cleaning chart the family she went to St. George with had made.  It was impressive! 

Tuesday afternoon we ran to Costco for shopping and lunch and then bought a water balloon pump.  Water balloon party for the rest of the day. The boys mastered filling the tying and never got bored of tossing and throwing. Friends came over and were entertained, no one asked for computer games $6 well spent!

Wednesday Byron had tennis from a neighbor boy who is on the high school team.  Byron is loving this class! Then both the boys had their once a week Chinese camp. Afterwards we met friends at Lagoon and just because of what their friends wanted to do we ended up with a day full of new-to-the-boys riding.  Byron fell in love with bumper cars, and braved the rickety white roller coaster, Soren went on the Terror Ride...doesn't love it but can say he did it, everyone went on Flying Dragon, Space Scrambler, and we finally got that Tilt-A-Whirl to whirl like crazy! I got to walk around having fun conversations with a friend and her husband.  
Win/win day! We stopped by Rainbow Snow for another snow cone and ran into a friend so the rest of the day was spent playing with friends.

Thursday was a slow lazy morning.  We didn't finish our stuff until 1:00 and had to be to piano by 2. So we jumped in our swimming gear and stopped by the splash pad near our piano teachers house after lessons.  Tons of water fun (mom tip: bring plastic cups and ziplock bags to splash pads, kids love launching that stuff).


That evening was the Regional Cub Scout Carnival. 
Pack Meeting on steroids! 

We threw, pounded, launched, pulled, pitched, ran 


and played in the bubbles. So fun so see so many school friends and families there.


We managed to get a slice of pizza and the boys got some cotton candy but the snow cone line was sooooo long I offered to take the boys to.....wait for it.....Rainbow Snow!!


and then the park.


Friday we tried out Lagoon-A-Beach.
We met some friends there which was lucky because then Byron got to try a few water slides.  Soren just isn't quite tall enough so I couldn't leave him to take B around.  Both boys were happy to swim in the lazy river for hours but the little kid slide/splash area was kind of boring for Soren and the big pool was cold!  This year, with Soren's height things will be a bit tricky and take some planning.  

I thought through things and here are our rules for LAB:
 1. Only go on super hot afternoons so the chilly big pool is perfect 
2. Make sure Byron and Miriam have each other, or buddies to go on the slides with so that they can do what they want and come check in.  
3. Only go on a weekday, it never got as crowded as Cherry Hill does in the height of summer, but I don't like when the lay river is tube to tube. 
4. Bring our passes and drivers licence but no other cards so that I can leave our stuff on a chair and NOT rent the $8 lockers. 
5. Bring $5.25 so we can rent 2 tubes to share and buy us each a .25 ice water.

We swam our hearts out and then....
RAINBOW SNOW again!


The last photo you will see of shaggy haired Soren.


We ended the evening with mom haircuts!