Saturday, June 03, 2006

Some Advice

I have something embarrassing to share. I had to have a wart frozen off earlier this week. I have never had a wart before, I am not sure if this is something else to blame on having Miriam (along with a kink in my hair, wider hips, bladder control etc) or if this just happens at 30. Miriam was such a trooper through the experience, she put her hand on my leg and said "We will be brave mamma" and "I will take good care of you". So I cried in the Dr's office, partly because of Miriam's compassion, partly because it really did hurt, and mostly because I have a wart, I have wrinkles, I have eczema, I weigh more than I did after having Miriam. Sad sad sad. - I have to insert here that I realize how pathetic that is, I should be overjoyed with my health, but that's how pity parties go-

It gets worse. Friday night my elbow (where the wart was) really started to hurt. I cleaned it out and noticed it was red a puffy. By Saturday afternoon the redness/soreness and spread 3 inches around the wound and it hurts like crazy. I called the Dr. and he said I needed to have it seen before Monday because infection could enter the bloodstream and that would get serious. I started crying again, partly because my elbow hurt, partly because my afternoon was ruined, and mostly because I would have to pay $50 and instacare and buy whatever they prescribed.

I was sitting in the waiting room at instacare and my mind started going crazy. I started to wonder what life would be like without my arm! How sad to have to say I lost my arm in a wart accident! Then I started thinking I might die. That got me really worked up. I started thinking of all the letters I would write to Miriam, I needed to tell her to please take piano lessons, and if possible the harp. To listen to her Dad always, and then that got me thinking about Darin, and how I DID not want him to get remarried. In so many LDS stories (Charley for one) the first wife lovingly tells her husband to remarry so he will be happy and the kids will have a mother. No no no no! I am not at that maturity level. While these thoughts were rushing through my head, I was reading Real Simple magazine and noticed an article all about advice from the older generation. My eyes caught a section that went something like..."Unless its terminal, there is no use worrying about it, and if it is, you can't do anything about it anyway" I snapped back to reality and then read another tidbit of advice that was something like this "don't let people rent space in your mind if they are not worth your time" Wow. I always need to be reminded to chill out, relax, don't spend precious energy on worrying.

I think I will be fine, I have antibiotics and instructions for care of the wound. If not, I can't do anything about it anyway. Whew, I feel better. I also liked this advice "when abroad don't ever go to a familiar chain restaurant, you might as well have stayed at home" or something to that effect. I think the same holds true for living broad (is that how you say in the states?). Enough with Olive Gardens, Applebees, and especially the McDonalds. Geeze...live a little.