Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Elder Mark

Mark (on left) has been in Brazil now for 4 months...2 in his actual mission, 2 in the CMT. Everyone who has served a mission, especially a foreign speaking one probably just cringed because those first few months in the field can be quite difficult. They were tough for me, I remember tears streaming down my face, my pillow completely drenched, but not making a sound so my companion wouldn't know I was crying. I didn't think I could survive missionary work for 18 months. So, I think about Mark often. His situation is even more challenging than mine since he is 19 not 21. He has never lived away from home, I spent 2 years away at college. I am outgoing and love getting to know people, he is more reserved likes to sit back and listen. And lastly, I was speaking English (with occasional language confusions like "bubbler" for drinking fountain, "carriage" for shopping cart, and lots of "wicked" this and thats), while Mark is speaking Portuguese. My heart hurts just thinking about how difficult this must be for him.

There is an added challenge of having a trainer who doesn't speak a word of English. There have been communication problems to be sure. I get the feeling that Mark doesn't know what the plan is from day to day, just follows his trainer and tries to understand. Not much translating going on. His letters are funny because he will say "our investigators husband is either dying, or being moved to some sort of institution I am not quite sure". Can you imagine living like that?? With all these challenges, Mark has a good attitude about being in Brazil. He is unsure about the language and feels very behind in learning it but loves the country. He is happy to experience a new culture and embrace all it's differences. I am so glad he is not one to whine about American comforts or culture. His letters are hilarious. He is so honest and his testimony is so strong.

I wanted to post about Mark for 2 reasons. First, I wanted to remember this time in Mark's mission. My whole family praying for him constantly, and feeling so helpless as he goes through this challenge. But also being so proud of him. Secondly, I wanted to remind all my extended family members with the upcoming holidays that he is out there. I think he is the very last of the cousins to go on a mission, and sometimes those tail enders get forgotten. What missionary wouldn't love to get lots of mail at Christmastime? I won't post his address in my blog but if anyone wants to include him in your Christmas Card list please email me and I will send it to you.

We love you Marcus Farcus (thats my special name for him).