Monday, November 13, 2006

The Parents Who Saved Christmas

I am sorry to talk about Christmas for all you Thanksgiving purists...but this is a story of Gratitude and Thanksgiving as well as Christmas so bear with me.

I had mentioned to a few family members and friends that I just didn't think I had it in me to decorate for Christmas this year. I was hoping that since Miriam is so small she wouldn't notice that we were the only house without a tree and stockings, lights, a nativity, advent calendar etc.
My reasoning is pure stress and exhaustion. We still had so much painting to do so our kitchen is full of supplies, and closets full of excess furniture. Add to that, we have to cut and package Christmas soap not to mention do our Christmas shopping. With Darin not coming home till after 8 and working Saturdays I was just feeling overwhelmed (can you image how Darin must feel? homework and correcting papers and exams on top of working and school all day). I love Christmas, I really do everything about it, and I don't even worry about the commercialism. This year however, I was feeling a bit like the Grinch.

Well, some Who-ville parents of mine came in and saved the day. My mom didn't ask if I wanted or needed help with painting, she just sat me down and scheduled a time when she and my dad could come up (AGAIN) to help (I am crying AGAIN). They worked so hard and accomplished so much. They stayed so late they had to stay over and sleep on a futon for crying out loud. How is that for service?? I still have lots of little painting things to do, but I feel like it's manageable now. I feel like I can do what I need to do AND dig out the Christmas tree. I am not saying all the decorations will come out this year, but we will have a tree, a nativity, and stockings.

One more Christmas thing and then I won't speak of it again till December. I found this really cute LDS Advent Calendar that you just print out and glue together. It's very cute, check it out!
http://lds.about.com/library/bl/puzzles/christmas_advent_calendar.pdf