Sunday, October 07, 2007

Conference Entertainment

I love General Conference, I really do, but it's a good thing the Ensign will reprint the talks because I miss a lot with Miss Miriam around. She is such a people person, she wants someone around all the time, and she has a hard time working quietly on projects. During the talk on motherhood I found myself saying sternly "Miriam, stop talking I need to hear this!" and then I felt very guilty as I did listen.

My mom usually made a big delicious breakfast for Conference, blueberry muffins, eggs, hash browns and sausages. It made the event seem more like a celebration than a conference and I have happy family memories from that. I would really like to make that a tradition in my family, but as Saturday morning arrived I woke up and went to a pilates class. As Sunday morning arrived I turned over and fell back asleep. I think this tradition may have to be reserved for when we are done with babies and on to the elementary age children.


Project #1 Miriam is dying to have a party but wouldn't agree to a Halloween party so we are having a "Polite as a Princess" party where we will practice our manners. Above are the invitations Miriam made.

She REALLY wanted to write "Miriam's Princess Party" on the envelopes so I wrote it out for her on a separate piece of paper and she went to town. During our mom and Miriam school time (which happens about once a week if that) I can only get her to practice writing for like 3 min. I guess the key is to plan a party a month and let her do everything.


Project #2 Miriam thought of all by herself. She made signs for the door that say "sorry friends we can't play today, we are listening to conference". Well, we broke down Sunday afternoon and let the little girl across the street come over after conference. BIG mistake as the little girl has a bad cold. Miriam and I sanitized the toys after she left (Miriam helped because she had her toys taken away and was earning them back) but its pretty likely we will be getting our first colds in the next little while.


Project #3 we baked cookies,


and walked them around to friends and neighbors in between sessions. Miriam dressed up for the occasion.