Monday, May 26, 2008

The Rest of the Story


It rained pretty much all day today, but during an intermission we did run out to decorate some family graves. I love cemeteries, not at night because I have a very vivid imagination, but in daylight I could walk around for hours reading names and dates. Little Byron climbing around his Great Grandpa Byron's grave would have made a darling picture, but I didn't bring my camera so hopefully that image will last in my memory. For family home evening tonight we broke out the family pictures and remembered.


After reading (actually watching) Kristi's post today, the music reminded me of something I haven't thought about forever! When I was in fourth grade, the upper grades put on this HUGE musical production called "We The People". We all wore bell bottom white pants, red shirts that said "WE The People" and blue belts. We sang songs as a group ("Whats More American Than.." "Freedom Isn't Free" all those classics) but there were also little groups who performed together. I danced and sang in the number "Coming to America" by Neil Diamond and specifically remember raising my arm and head sharply when we sang the word "TODAY". I also remember that my mom french braided my hair horizontally around my head, and this boy who is very effeminate rated my hair that day a 9 out of 10 stars...wow, hurray for mom!
But, the most vivid memory is of the slide show they had during one of the patriot songs. They had taken pictures of people around town and there was this close up of my Dad, in his navy blue work shirt with his name in cursive on the pocket. I remember looking up at the huge screen behind us and being so proud of my handsome, hardworking, kind hearted all American Dad. I am still so proud.

I just wanted to make sure I would remember that again someday.