Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SPT - The first thing that attracted me to you was...


You were new. A new boy all the way from New England was very big news in my little hometown, and oh so exotic. Added to my intrigue was the fact that I had done my third grade US report on New Hampshire! I had drawn the state flag and knew the state bird was the purple finch. I went home after our first meeting to tell my mom "the cutest boy from New Hampshire just moved in!". Darin, who met a whole gaggle of girls that day vaguely remembers that I was wearing a red shirt.

That was the summer before our Junior year of high school, and we didn't see each other again until school began, at which time we each had significant others {as significant as "others" can be in high school}. So, we innocently flirted our way through English and Chemistry....NOT Seminary because Darin's girlfriend was in our class.....we sat on opposite ends of the room. We didn't have our first official date until midway through our Senior year {14 years ago}. We didn't date continuously through the 5 years between graduation and our wedding; I went away to college and we each served missions, dated others, grew up a bit. No matter whether we were dating, or definitely NOT dating, I always cared about him, always compared who I was with to him, always wanted only happiness and goodness for him whether we were together or not.

I loved him before I was ready to love him. I thank my lucky stars we were both patient.

SPT