Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beauty Is...


Miriam's first ever Reflections entry.


Miriam said the ability of the cocoon, and caterpillar to protect themselves with camouflage is beautiful, and that butterflies just are beautiful.

I never participated in this school ritual as a child. I have never in my life taken an art or art history class. Never thought of myself as artistic. I am just now realizing that the difference between being artistic and not artistic, is more how you think of yourself rather than real ability. At least 90% of the arts and crafts I see are someones version of another person's idea. If all it takes to be artistic is put your spin on something you see...then by george even I am artistic...I do that all the time!

So I let Miriam go to town with this project. It was her idea to use clay, beads, to paint it (my idea to put it on a paper plate). I gave her no guidance whatsoever (other than gluing it on the paper plate). I hope the experience made her feel artistic.

Because she is...if she wants to be.