Sunday, November 08, 2009

Stretching....

I did two things I am proud of today.

First: I made amazing gravy from roast drippings.

Second: I went to a fireside in Salt Lake ALONE..ALL BY MYSELF...WITHOUT ANYONE ELSE. I also SAT BY MYSELF!! Maybe you think a thirty-something women shouldn't be afraid to go places alone...but let me tell you, I could probably count on one hand the times I have ever EVER gone to an event alone.

You want to know how it was??

LIBERATING

it would have been just as great with friends, but to do it by myself...well, I am impressed with me.
I almost didn't go since our family was invited to a baptism that night, and I was feeling guilty on top of feeling shy and uncomfortable. Two things changed my mind. Darin, knowing how much I really wanted to go encouraged me and then, when I had decided not to go Miriam said "you shouldn't go mom, it's too big of a risk". A risk?? A risk to do something (a safe something) you want to do because no one will come with you?? I could just picture it...."I can't take band Mom, none of my friends are......I don't like Young Women's I don't have any friends there".

Sometimes you have to do good things alone.

My mind is still reeling from the things April and Rachel had to share. I couldn't begin to blog about the information, or my feelings...add to that Darin and I just watched Food Inc. and now we are reading In Defense of Food so I am all sorts of fired up about changing my attitude, my diet, my thoughts, my grocery bill....it's exhausting.

I will say this to my dear friends and family, I am no longer going to talk about dieting ESPECIALLY in front of my children. I am not sure what we will talk about but we will have to come up with something else.