Thursday, February 21, 2013

Story time- National Teeth Month

I have been doing this little "Mom Job" for almost a year now but haven't documented anything about it thus far.  Which is a shame, because although it isn't huge, I do spend about 3-4 hours a week on it and if I get to keep doing the job it will be easier if I have a record of what I have done for the next year.

I do story time at a local toy store.  The store gives me a list of the topics, I come up with the books, games, songs, and craft to go along with it.  Then I do my "story time lady" thing.  For some reason all the women in my family have ended up working with children in some fashion or another.  This is surprising to me because none of us are the sweet, lovey-dovey types.  None of us enjoyed babysitting, or were baby obsessed as young women.  What we are is loud, enthusiastic, and fairly uninhibited. We also tend to smile a lot and laugh quite a bit.  It seems most kids respond well to that sort of thing. 
(call me Barney)

I do enjoy it.  As small and insignificant as it may be, it feels good to engage the kids, and I would want to be doing this type of thing with the boys anyway.  The one hard thing about it is that sometimes, when the moms there aren't the "sing along" types, I end up singing a solo...as people come in and out of the store....as parents and toddlers just stare at me.  Pretty much a nightmare right? Well, luckily that doesn't happen to often, most moms are the "sing along" type. 


The memorizing game...you know, remove one item at a time and the kids try to remember what is missing.  Classic.


Marshmallow mouths that we practice our flossing on.
I should point out here that they ask that I spend little to no money on the crafts, you need to know that to appreciate my brillance.


The books:


Story time is in the morning so during the winter the kids are all 5 or younger mostly consisting of  toddlers so the books need to be short with engaging pictures.  Doctor DeSoto was a stretch but I love it so much I had to read it.
During the summer the kids can be older but usually by 7 they won't come sit and sing.

The songs:
Brush Brush Brush Your Teeth
Sung to: "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"
Brush, Brush, Brush Your Teeth
'til they're shiny bright
They'll be healthy, they'll be strong,
if you treat them right.

Brushing my Teeth
Sung to: London Bridges"
Here's my toothpaste
Here's my brush
I won't hurry, I won't rush.
Working hard to keep teeth clean,
Front and back and in between.
When I brush for quire a while
I will have a happy smile.