Thursday, November 12, 2015

My Weekend

I did it.
I finally crossed "Run a half marathon" off my bucket list.
So fun to do it with these amazing women in such a beautiful location.

The ride down to St. George seemed to fly by.  I was with 3 compassionate, hilarious, articulate women so there was never a lull in the conversation.  Lots of laughter....and some tears were shed along the way.  We ate at the Painted Pony for dinner. I had the best and the tiniest salmon tacos I have ever seen!  My food was fantastic, but pricey and tiny. 

Then Kelly and Erin gave us matching black jackets with our maiden AND married names on the sleeve....because they all knew each other before husbands....and I knew Erin before we were married.  
So incredibly kind of them, I have worn mine almost daily since.


 So......I didn't know about the photography sessions that would be happening during the race.
I would have at least combed my hair and bought new running pants!



But at least the scenery was beautiful.
I remember hearing someone say that life is made up of a series of beautiful and tragic moments.  As I ran through this part of the canyon I had the thought...this is one of those beautiful moments right now!


So I stopped briefly to snap a picture.

After running down the canyon we had to run through some neighborhoods.  That was the hard part.  I could tell my piriformis muscle was not doing well, and my left hip joint was hurting.  Just when I felt like the race would never end "Jump" by Van Halen came on...thought about my big brother snow boarding, my little sister doing her drill routine with flags.  Then Whip and Nae Nae came on...though about Soren doing his groove thing.  Band of Horses came on....thought about Darin taking care of the kids at home so I could be here, doing this.  Basically tried to focus my thoughts on anything other than my body. 


We all met up at the finish line.  You would think it would be great to snarf on all that food at the finish line but I was not at all...not even a little bit hungry.  I tried to eat a granola bar but couldn't choke it down.

After resting/showering at the house for an hour or two we went to Outback Steak House. 
There was nothing small about those tacos and thank goodness because my appetite had returned with a vengeance.
Then I experienced my first ever massage. A weekend of firsts for me. So amazing, but talk about putting me out of my comfort zone!!

We were concerned about being too tired to drive home, and talked about going back to the house to nap for a bit, but there was nothing to worry about.  We had much more to hash out on the way home so the 4 hours flew by.