Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Grandmothers

Yesterday was the day both of my Grandmothers were born. They both passed away a few years ago, but their memory is fresh in my mind thanks to the Christmas gift of photos my parents gave us. I look at these pictures and can't believe the impact these two women have had on my life. Their teachings, idiosyncrasies, habits, interests, beliefs, and views were passed to my parents and then to me. Their genes are in me, the bad with the good.

These women are two of my heroes. They made mistakes, had ideas I didn't agree with, but I strongly believe that they made the most out of the cards life dealt them. In the end isn't that the most we can do? Take what life gives us and do our very best?

Both of my Grandmas were considered beauties (Grandma Alice on the left, Grandma Edna on the right), which I wholeheartedly agree with. I wish I could find more of my features in each one, but I think I am mostly a mix of my Grandpas (which is not a bad thing either...I'm just sayin). They both took care of themselves and dressed well. My Grandma Alice was very proper and modest, and wore quality clothing. She wore a lot of Pendelton and I always think of her when I see that brand. My Grandma Edna was raised on a farm, but she made the decision that as a woman she would not work outdoors in the sun. As far as I know she never did. She took special care of her skin, nails and hair. She didn't go outdoors without a hat and a long sleeve shirt. Grandma Edna had lots of shoes, clothing, make-up, and self care products. It may have been excessive, but she always looked elegant and put together.

Both of my Grandmothers were intelligent, but in very different ways. I believe they both excelled in school but had different interests. Grandma Alice loved history, poetry, literature and writing. She introduced me to so many books I love, Pride and Prejudice, Willa Cather books, Jane Eyre. My grandfather was interested in geology and became a rock hound so they both took classes in that subject together. My grandma was always the best student in the class, although the subject may have not been her first choice. I didn't realize how much education meant to her until after her death. Every time me or one of my siblings (or cousins if the paper had been sent to her) received any kind of award, but especially academic awards she cut it out and saved it. It made me weep thinking of her saving those scraps of paper all those years when I couldn't have cared less. It made me wish I would have tried harder to get high honors just for her rather than be satisfied with honors. She also kept journals which have been so fun to read. My Grandpa was pretty sick with arthritis by the time I have memories of him. In most of my memories he is cranky (I didn't realize he was on high doses of morphine for the pain, or I would have cut him more slack). Through these journals I have a clearer picture of how clever, and silly he could be. I also feel the love she had for us grandkids. That is priceless to me. Grandma Alice could recognize bird calls, always found ladybugs for us, LOVED her garden and usually had homemade pickles in the summertime. She loved humming birds.

I am sure Grandma Edna did well in school too, but she seemed more street smart to me. She had a plaque in her home that said something like "Act like a lady, think like a man, and work like a dog" and I really think that was her personal credo. She worked full time as a secretary, had four children, made most of her own and her children's clothing, kept house, and had meals on the table. You have to be very efficient, motivated, and organized to accomplish that. In her later years she because an amazing quilter and has won many awards. My whole life, I have no memories of her ever giving me advice. I remember her listening to me smiling, laughing at my nonsense, but never giving her opinion. This is one of my favorite memories about her...her saying nothing at all. I always had the feeling that she liked me and would love me no matter how I turned out. As a parent, we are required to give advice and fret over how children turn out, but I as a grandparent I hope I can be what Grandma Edna was. Just a person who loves them while they battle life out for themselves. Grandma was great at card games and Chinese checkers, twiddled her thumbs, took aerobics or swam for as long as I can remember and also loved humming birds.