Friday, January 26, 2007

Prehistoric Adventures & Dance PARTY

Miriam and I left Darin to fend for himself this week and took off to my parents house. We are having a family birthday party for Miriam this weekend (which Darin will drive down for) but my mom picked M and I up early. It is SO nice to be here. Miriam adores her cousins, and is entertained every minute. That is so wonderfully strange for me, I feel so free. I have been watching Marcus (4) in the mornings while my sister works which is fairly easy. He and Miriam had nothing in common (he is all superhero, Miriam is all princess ballerina) but they will play well together if no one else is here. Miriam ADORES Madison (8) and tells her over and over how much she loves her. Everytime Madison has left this weekend Miriam has hugged her and said "I will miss you so much!". Madison is good to play with her, until she just can't take the adoration anymore, and then she looks at me apologetically and I step back into my activities director roll. Josh (5) and Ali (3 3/4) are fun to have over too, they all seem to mesh together without too much struggle. Miriam thinks Josh is HILARIOUS, and Ali love princesses just as much as she does. The only downside to our visit is that Miriam has just gotten her second cold of the entire winter, and it's a doosie. So not only will we be exposing all the cousin to mucus germs, sleeping with Miriam has been rough. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep last night.

Today I took Marcus and Miriam to the CEU Prehistoic Museum. It was so wonderful! After living so long in the "big city" and putting up with 30 toddlers at storytime, at least that many at any given park, and sharing all museums with the masses, I was amazed that we had the musem TO OUR SELVES! Well, at first there was a father and son there but they left really quickly. Funny side story, the museum cashier thought we were a family (the three of us and the father and son) and took my $ thinking we were doing the family deal ($10 rather than $4 for adults and $2 per child). She dropped $10 in the donation box, gave me $10 back. I started to say something but the guy just shook his head and handed me a $5 with a wink. I couldn't make up my mind whether that was okay or not so we just walked in. We spent 45 min looking at dinasaur bones and fossils (they have an amazing collection) and then another 45 min in their kids playzone. We uncovered bones, put together a huge puzzle, read stories, and played with hand puppets. I can't believe I left our camera at home! I love the choices I have living in a big city, but this small city living has its charms.

Update 1/27/07: M's 3rd Birthday Party


We had Miriam's birthday party at Julia's dance studio (aka Miriam heaven). Julia did some dance & parachute games with the kids. She is amazing with little ones. I can't believe she puts up with whole classes full of 3, 4 & 5 year olds almost daily. The cousins and friend Hadley loved it. After the dancing Darin tied some balloon animals (he can also juggle, but good luck getting him to wear a clown outfit), and then the traditional cake, presents etc went down. To end the shin dig, we had party favors with punch balloons. We let the kids go hog wild in the studio while the adults sat adoring baby Claire and talking. It is so amazing to have a room where kids can go nuts-O and be removed from the rest of us. Thank you family (and Amanda) for coming, and especially thank you Julia!!!!
Miriam, Madison and Marcus decorated the cupcakes. I am going to make the darling groundhog ones for her actual birthday (for just Darin Miriam and I), but since this party was a week before groundhogs day it just seemed a little silly. I focused the camera on the cupcakes rather than on Miriam in the candle blowing pictures (ARGH) I made the same mistake last year.

We just had candy dripping cupcakes (yuck) and fruit for the eats. We went out for Chinese later that evening (thank you mom!).

Last picture of the day, Miriam in the costume Grandma and Grandpa bought her (with matching shoes and crown). She pranced around the studio while the other kids were whacking each other with punch balls. She couldn't take her eyes off the mirrors and kept saying "I look beauuuutiful!". My mom told us later that on the way home Marcus said "That was a wonderful party Miriam" and a few minutes later Miriam said "That was a nice party." So my two goals for the party were achieved. #1 I didn't have to babysit anyone else's kids and #2 the kids had a wild and crazy time without destroying anyones home (the studio is made for rough play).