Tuesday, January 06, 2009

GIFT

I have a problem similar to a lot of women I know with young children. My children want my attention 24/7 and if they don't get it they are sad, and if they are sad, I feel like I am not being a good mother (their sadness vocalized also makes me feel like my brain is going to explode).

A few years back I learned an important lesson. No matter how much you give to your children they will want more. You can read 6 books and feel like they should be satisfied...but they won't be. You can play for 3 hours and feel they will be good for the day.....but they won't be. You can let your kids have one cookie and say "enough is as good as a feast" but it isn't. Kids, at least my kids, will take all I can possibly give and ask for more. They are insatiable when it comes to love and attention (and treats).

It's up to me to set the limits of what I can give. Oh, but I want to give SO MUCH. I want them to have the whole world, to experience everything good, to read every great book, see every great thing, and most importantly to BE HAPPY. I want this so bad that their wants are being put above my needs.

One more thing to add to all this is that I preach waaaaaay too much.
This brings us to my WORD FOR THE YEAR.

"....We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same...."
-Nelson Mandela

"Don't tell me you are going to be good....SHOW ME"
-Me, to Miriam on a daily basis

Example sheds a genial ray which men are apt to borrow, so first improve yourself today, and then your friends tomorrow.
-Unknown

I am going to give my family the GIFT of taking a bit of time to achieve my goals.

I am going to exercise everyday while they cry, complain and whine.
I am going to go to that General Conference discussion class I am interested in, and maybe the bread making class too.
I am going to get babysitters more often to be alone with Darin.
I am going to sew something ANYTHING this year.
I am going to get my Personal Progress medallion (for the second time).

because I truly believe that sacrificing some of their time for me is a GIFT to them in return (even if they cry about it). It's the GIFT of a happy confident mother, the GIFT of someone who doesn't base her self esteem on others achievements, the GIFT of a good example rather than just a good sermon. So when they cry, and whine and complain I won't let my exploding head keep me from doing something that is necessary for my self worth. I will give them a hug and whisper "I love you so much I have to do this".