My cousin Kristi posted these silhouettes of her kids way back in 2006 and I have been thinking of them ever since! I took Miriam's picture in March of 2007 with the idea that I would talk Darin into paying to have them done from Simply Silhouettes it looks like they do wonderful work (Land of Nod also did them for awhile but I couldn't find it when I searched recently).
My darling husband answered just exactly how I expected him to "Elisa, you could do that yourself!" He said he didn't mind if I ordered them, but basically told me I was competent enough to do it on my own and found this website for me, which explains how to do it. It's infuriating and wonderful when he does that to me. Infuriating because I just want things done NOW, and wonderful because I would never be as adventurous creatively without him. BUT, even with all the hubby support I did nothing with the pictures I had taken.
Then I came across this, the Nie Nie Dialogs and fell in love all over again with silhouettes.
Then (and I couldn't believe this) my own sister-in-law did them of her kids?! I was seriously shocked and decided right then and there to get off my duff and finally make them. So, back in October I went out and bought all the supplies and......Did nothing with them until last week. So, without further ado
* What I learned: #1 You should take the pictures of your subjects on the same day, the same distance from the camera. Because Miriam's picture was taken almost a year before Bub's the distance is off. #2 You need really good little scissors, I used hair cutting scissors and it was rough...and I think my silhouettes are rough because of it, but I am not redoing until next year or so. #3 I couldn't get Bub's light wispy hair to look right so he looks bald...that isn't anything I learned I just don't know how to fix it.
Thank you to all the inspirational crafting women in my world (real and blog) and to my husband for giving me the push to get out and try new things.