
We were reading the scripture story of Abinidi with Miriam when our neighbor called. They know we don't watch much TV so they called as soon as they had heard. Darin answered the phone, saying that I was busy, and he took the message. In between bedtime stories he kind of whispered to me that President Hinckley had died and I started to cry. Not wanting to upset Miriam we quickly finished the stories, had family prayer and put her to bed. Then we talked about it. We realized that he became the Prophet when we were Seniors in high school. I remembered seeing him speak when I was serving my mission in Boston, and that he once waved to us from his apartment at an outdoor Peter Breinholt concert in the Brigham Young Park.
It was a blustery blizzard day today. I have been a bit weepy all day, but we have been busy with swimming lessons, grocery shopping, and all the motherly things I do all day. I talked to two friends on the phone about it. I randomly watched Good Things Utah, which I rarely do (because of time, not content, I love that show) and they had a special about him. Again I cried. Miriam and I talked about the Prophet but I haven't mentioned that he has passed away. We are going to have a Family Home Evening about him tonight and we will tell her. I know it won't really phase her, but I dread telling her all the same. Maybe I dread telling her because I know it won't phase her. I don't know if she will ever realize how special he was.
Thanks for the challenge Kristi