Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Heart Like His

I haven't actually read this book (although I have heard great things about it), but Virginia Pearce came to speak at our Stake Relief Society meeting yesterday. Although Darin had a million things to do for school and work, I was able to go to hear her. I hadn't realized she was President Hinckley's daughter. She told a few cute stories about her mother and father that were heartwarming. She mentioned that President Hinckley, although very tired, has been blessed with such heath he has said "What is it going to take to kill me?" which is so like him. I am sure most of what she talked about is written in the book but one part that struck me was this:

"If you think everything you do must be grand, you are thinking too much about yourself."

She gave the example of preparing for a lesson, fretting and worrying about having a perfect delivery, the best handouts, and how last weeks teacher did. Sister Pearce reminded us that the lesson is not about how great the teacher is, but how the lesson touches the audience. She gave another example using teenagers who are notoriously self absorbed. It's something I want to remember and share with my children as teenagers (although I can NOT imagine having teenagers). A Young Woman leader told her girls that before they go out with friends or on a date to spend the whole time they are getting ready thinking about the other people who will be there. Think about what you know about them, questions you have about their life, what you could learn from them. When the focus isn't on an imperfect complexion or bad hair, but on making others feel comfortable, they themselves end up having a much better time. I have tried this approach to life at different times and I have to say it really works. My self absorbing insecurities always seem to creep back in but I have had wonderful experiences forgetting myself and really seeing others. It was a good reminder on how to be happy.