Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Last Hoorah

Miriam's actual birthday was a casual event. We tried to keep things simple since she already had a wild bash. We met up with my friend Fiona and her "spunky nerd" (her words) darling daughter Ivy and dashing Simon. We love meeting up at the Market Street Grill, even though it's getting hard with the kids. With any more additions to our families we may have to start meeting up at McDonalds. Or leave the kids with Daddies...yea that sounds better. We let the little girls play at the Trolley Square Pottery Barn, and then made wishes and watched the fishies at the fish pond. Miriam and I took a 2 hour birthday nap when we got home which as heavenly. We woke up with just enough time to make the groundhog cupcakes which turned out really cute. They could pass for any rodent really, so if anyone ever needs to celebrate a Beaver Day these are the treats for you. They were from Family Fun magazine.

Darin came home with the traditional flowers for me. He totally surprised me on Miriam's first birthday and has given them ever since. I love it, and hope this is a tradition that will go along with all our children's birthdays (hint hint;).

My whole reason for not throwing a friend party was that I didn't want to babysit a bunch of 3 year olds (my home isn't large enough to invite kids and mothers). So, what do I do? I go and tell another friend I will watch her two kids that night. I thought about saying I couldn't do it, but then decided it would be fun for her to have a friend over. It worked out because Miriam asked that afternoon if anyone was going to come see her for her birthday. This family has been so good to us, invites to dinner, inviting Miriam over to play, bringing fresh bread, it felt good to return a little bit of the favor. I still need to have them over for dinner. I have such a hard time with dinner parties. I need to get over my unmatched plates, unfinished home improvements and, fear of a disastrous meal (undercooked chicken, or hair in the food HORROR) and be gracious.
We ended the day with a few birthday wish phone calls, and a check on family blogs to see all the fun birthday wishes. Thank you to everyone who called, blogged, and commented.


Miriam received a fun birthday gift from Aunt Lisa today. A knitted tea set that is so cute. We have played tea party at least 3 times today, and I am sure will play it lots more again tomorrow. Thank you Lisa it's a fun unique gift we will cherish!

*On a side note, if anyone is getting error messages on their links it could be that an extra slash mark was added to the link addresses. I had this problem occur when I upgraded to the new version. Just take out the dash at the end and it works fine again.